Grades have the following honor-point values:

A Outstanding 4.0
AB Excellent 3.5
B Very good 3.0
BC Good 2.5
C Average 2.0
CD Below average (unsatisfactory) 1.5
D Passing (unsatisfactory) 1.0
F Failure 0.0
NF No-show, failure 0.0
NR Not recorded by professor Not included in GPA
NG Not graded Not included in GPA
Incomplete Not included in GPA 
Satisfactory Not included in GPA 
Unsatisfactory  Not included in GPA 
Withdrawal  Not included in GPA 
WF  Withdrawal, failure  0.0 

Faculty will award the grade of “NF” to any student who has not officially withdrawn yet has stopped participating by the 60 percent point in the semester. The “NF” grade is equivalent to an “F.” A grade of “W” is automatically assigned for withdrawal within the first 10 weeks of a 14-week class or the first five weeks of a 7-week class.  A grade of "WF" is given for withdrawal after the official deadline to withdraw has passed, as noted in the academic calendar, and it is documented that the student has ceased to attend the class.  A "WF" is factored into the GPA as zero points.

Grades of "NG," “I,” “S,” “U,” and “W” do not affect grade point averages. Only grades equivalent to or above “C” will be graded as “satisfactory.” An “NR” grade on the grade report indicates that the grade has not been reported by the faculty member. An “IP” grade indicates a course in progress.

Grading is the prerogative of the instructor. In the case of a disputed grade, an undergraduate student must first contact the instructor and request reconsideration. The student may also contact his or her academic advisor. If the matter remains unresolved, the student must notify, in writing, the chair of the instructor’s department. Written notification must be received no later than the completion of the seventh week of the term following the semester in which the grade was awarded. If the contested grade was awarded in the fall semester, this appeal procedure must be initiated no later than the end of the seventh week of the following spring semester. If the contested grade was awarded for the spring semester, intersession or summer session, this appeal procedure must be initiated no later than the end of the seventh week of the following fall semester. No course grades will be subject to change after final graduation certification. See the Office of Graduate and Continuing Studies section of this catalog for the policy on academic appeals for graduate students. Students who remain dissatisfied should contact the dean of the instructor’s college for information or advice on possible resolution of the dispute. The above described channels of resolution must be exhausted before students may submit grade-related disputes to the Academic Appeals Committee.

To graduate with a bachelor’s degree, the number of honor points must be at least twice the number of credit hours for all college-level courses attempted at the University, including courses that are repeated. (See rule concerning repeated courses.)

This means that, for graduation, the undergraduate student must have an average of “C” or higher on all work attempted at the University. An average of “C” or higher is also required in all coursework applied toward the major. The GPA requirement may vary depending upon the major. Some majors have special GPA requirements. Always refer to the specific department for details. (See the Office of Graduate and Continuing Studies section for GPA requirements for graduate students.)

Grades earned by graduate students in undergraduate courses, such as those taken as foundation courses, do not affect the graduate student’s grade point average.

Prior to graduation, the student must complete any course with an incomplete (“I”) grade and retake for a passing grade any required courses in which the student earned a failing grade (“F” or “NF”). (See the section on Incomplete Work in this chapter.) A degree will not be conferred for any student with an outstanding “I” grade.